Maui News

Wailuku Couple Displaced by Morning Fire

January 29, 2010, 12:47 PM HST
* Updated January 29, 3:27 PM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00
A
A
A

By Wendy Osher

A Wailuku couple was displaced from their residence when a fire this morning damaged their second floor studio ‘ohana unit.

The fire was reported by a neighbor who saw smoke coming fro the 1764 Nani Street Residence, located near the Wailuku bridge.

Firefighters were on scene within two minutes and had the fire extinguished within 10 minutes of receiving the first call at 7:06 a.m.  Engines from the Wailuku and Kahului Stations responded to the blaze as well as the Rescue and Hazmat Trucks from the Kahului Station.

Acting Battalion Chief Allen Duarte said the fire appeared to have started near an electrical outlet and was deemed to have been accidental.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

A single person was home at the time of the fire and was awoken when firefighters made entry into the unit from an external stairwell.  Duarte said the 20 by 30 foot space sustained extensive smoke damage in addition to $2,500 in content damage and $5,000 in structural damage.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

Volunteers with the American Red Cross are helping the displaced couple with immediate needs.  Caseworkers were prepared to assist with temporary food, shelter and clothing.  The agency will follow up in the coming weeks to provide referrals, guidance or additional assistance if necessary.

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments