Maui Fuel, Vehicle Weight, & Real Property Taxes to be set
The Maui County council will hold a series of public hearings on Monday, May 17 to set rates for the county’s Fuel Tax, Vehicle Weight Tax, and Real Property Tax. The proposed fuel tax is 16 cents; the proposed vehicle weight tax would increase from the current 1.75-cent tax to 2.75-cent tax for a 6,500 pound vehicle. Under the proposal, property tax rates for homeowners would rise to $2.50 per $1,000 of net taxable valuation.
The complete property tax list proposed by the council is detailed below and reflects rates proposed per one-thousand dollars of net taxable assessed valuation:
- Improved Residential: Land=$5, Building=$5
- Apartment: Land=$5, Building=$5
- Commercial: Land=$6.25, Building=$6.25
- Industrial: Land=$6.50; Building=$6.50
- Agricultural: Land=$5; Building=$5
- Conservation: Land=$5; Building=$5
- Hotel & Resort: Land=$8.30; Building=$8.30
- Unimproved Residential: Land=$6.25; Building=$6.25
- Homeowner: Land=$2.50; Building=$2.50
- Time Share: Land=$14; Building=$14
- Commercialized Residential: Land=$4; Building=$4
The complete vehicle weight tax list proposed by the council is detailed below:
- Effective January 1, 2011, $0.0275 (two and three-fourth cents) per pound of net weight for passenger vehicles, and trucks and noncommercial vehicles not exceeding 6,500 pounds (currently $0.0175).
- Effective January 1, 2011, $0.04 (four cents) per pound of net weight for all other motor vehicles (currently $0.03).
- Minimum tax for any motor vehicle is $12.00. Penalty for delinquent tax is $8 for passenger vehicles or $20 for other vehicles (no changes proposed).
The hearings for fuel tax, vehicle weight tax, and real property tax are scheduled to start at 9 a.m., 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. respectively in the Council Chambers.