Bikram Yoga – A Perfect Holiday Stress Buster
How does Yoga sound for the holidays? Well, participants exercise in a calm, soothing environment, and after stressful shopping, this may be just what you need to rejuvenate.
What is Bikram Yoga?
Bikram yoga is the brainchild of yoga master Bikram Choudhury. The series of 26 yoga positions are typically performed in a 90-minute session in a warm room that is at least 105° Fahrenheit. The heat of the room means your muscles warm up more quickly, allowing you to do the stretches more efficiently. The heat also minimizes the risk of injury and promotes sweating, which releases toxins from your body.
Bikram yoga is a good option for those who do not think they are flexible enough for a yoga workout, since the heat allows them to perform positions they could not do before. However, all newcomers to the discipline should begin slowly and allow the body to become accustomed to the positions before pushing it too far. That is why it is important to work out with certified Bikram yoga instructors, like the staff at the Yoga House, to ensure you do not hurt yourself when you are just starting out in the yoga discipline.
The Benefits of Bikram Yoga
Bikram yoga offers a number of health benefits, including:
- Warmer muscles mean more efficient stretches and a wider variety of positions
- Sweating releases toxins from the body, for a cleansing from the inside out
- Sessions may reduce stress and increase blood flow throughout the body
- Better flexibility means lower risk of injury or arthritic conditions as the body ages
- Regular sessions may result in enhanced muscle tone and weight loss
- Even individuals with chronic conditions like arthritis and diabetes can perform Bikram yoga positions
- May help some recover from injuries or operations
The holidays are a stressful time, filled with too much indulgence and not enough self-care. By taking the time to enjoy a Bikram yoga you can rest assured your body can more readily take the abuse you give it this time of year.