Maui Business

Hawaii Top Pick for Family Dream Vacation

September 12, 2011, 4:25 PM HST
* Updated September 12, 8:05 PM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

By Sonia Isotov

Photo courtesy Hawaii Tourism Authority (HTA) / Tor Johnson.

A recent survey by Travelocity customers found that the top dream vacation picks for families who travel with children are a vacation in Hawaii or Europe.

27% of respondents to the Travelocity survey chose Europe as their number one family dream vacation and 25% of respondents chose Hawaii.

Travelocity revealed some other interesting findings in a corporate news release today. 88% of respondents to the survey had a dream trip they would take if money was no object. Of those, the majority (60%) stated that having an authentic, local experience was what mattered most on their dream trip. The other 40% said it was more important to experience the best service possible.

The survey also found that families who travel with children are more likely to have dream vacations planned than those respondents who do not.


“It’s telling that families who travel with children are more likely to have dream trips in mind than those who don’t travel with kids,” said Eileen Ogintz, family travel expert and author of the weekly syndicated column Taking the Kids, in a written statement from Travelocity. “They want to show children the world.”


In terms of the type of trip parents would like to take with their children, a tour of a foreign city came in on top with 37% of the vote. The second-most popular choice was relax on a beach (22%), followed by take a cruise (18%), visit a theme park (12%) and see exotic wildlife (11%).

Family Travel Dream Vacations

1. Europe (27%)

2. Hawaii (25 %)

3. The Mediterranean (9%)

4. Orlando (9%)

5. Australia (6%)

6. Africa (5%)

7. Costa Rica (3%)

8. The Galapagos Islands (3%)

9. Asia (2%)

*the remaining 11% of respondents chose “other” as
their dream destination.

Make the most of your Maui vacation with these top-rated activities: Maui Top 20: Maui Visitor & Tourism Information
E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments