Maui News

Candle Sparks W. Maui Home Fire, 2 People Displaced

October 8, 2011, 7:49 PM HST
* Updated October 10, 5:46 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00
A
A
A

By Wendy Osher

File image by Wendy Osher.

A house fire in West Maui caused an estimated $50,000 in damage and displaced two residents on Saturday afternoon (October 8, 2011).

The cause of the fire was accidental, and was attributed to a burning candle, said Maui Fire Services Chief Lee Mainaga.

The fire was reported at 1:32 p.m. at 3837 Lower Honoapiilani Road, north of the Honokowai Beach Park, and near the Hale Ono Loa Condominium complex.

When firefighters arrived on scene, one of the four bedrooms in the 1800 square-foot wooden home, was fully involved.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

Crews from Engine 11, Engine 3, Ladder 3, and Battalion Chief 4 were dispatched to the scene.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

The blaze was brought under control by 1:46 p.m., and was extinguished at 3:17 p.m.

Of the $50,000 in damage, $42,000 was structural, and $8,000 was to contents.

The Red Cross was activated to assist a family of seven, including an infant.  Authorities say two people who were displaced by the fire.

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments