MLK Day Celebration At Queen Kaahumanu Center
By Madeline Ziecker
To celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day on Monday, January 16 2012, the African American on Maui Association in conjunction with Nubian Pageant Systems will present an entertainment lineup of speakers, poets, and tributes at Queen Kaahumanu Center in Kahului.
Entertainment from 3 – 6 p.m. on Queen Kaahumanu Center’s Center Stage is listed as follows:
- Bobby Ingram with Gene Argel band will kick off the afternoon’s celebration with live blues music.
- Speaker Dr. Ayin Adams, an award-winnig Maui poet and playwright, will read a poem by Langston Hughs entitled “Mother to Son.”
- Speaker Gwyn Gorg of UH Maui’s Language Institute
- Reading by Poet Richard Hamilton
- Blues Singer Julie Frank will give a soul serenade in honor of King.
- Tributes to King by various speakers including MLK Jr. Cohilition – Hawaii (Maui) coordinators George and Terri Rainey along with Maui poet Pat Matsumo
- African dance and drums by Joie Taylor
- A blessing by Kahu Alalani Hill
A large Martin Luther King display will be featured in the center court of Queen Kaahumanu Center at the old Brookstone location.
For more information, call (714) 305-2128 or visit http://www.nubian-pageants.com/African-Americans-on-Maui-Assn.html.