Molokai Machete Incident Results in Propane Leak
By Maui Now Staff
Residents of Kahalemua Housing Complex in Hoolehua were evacuated on Saturday afternoon because of a leak in a 2,000 gallon propane tank.
Fire officials say the supply line was ruptured when the owner of a unit was weeding in the area and hit the gas line with a machete at around 12:08 p.m.
Maui Fire Services Chief Lee Mainaga said fire crews provided vapor suppression with a hose line and turned off the main valve to the propane tank.
Gas Company crews arrived just before 1 p.m. and repaired the line.
Residents were allowed to return when the area was deemed safe.