Maui News

Homeless Man Accidentally Sparks Cooking Fire in Lahaina

March 23, 2012, 10:54 AM HST
* Updated March 23, 10:56 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00
A
A
A

File photo by Wendy Osher.

By Wendy Osher

A brush fire in West Maui overnight was accidentally sparked by a homeless person attempting to light a cooking fire with a propane torch, said fire officials.

The fire was reported at 12:48 a.m. on March 23, at the end of Prison Street on the mauka side of the Honoapiilani Highway in an area of heavy brush, said Maui Fire Services Chief Lee Mainaga.

The 50 by 50 foot fire was brought under control at 1:15 a.m., and extinguished at 1:57 a.m., according to authorities.

The flame accidentally ignited a tarpaulin, according to Chief Mainaga, and the man was injured when he unsuccessfully attempted to put out the fire.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

The homeless individual suffered minor burns to his hands and was treated and released by medics on scene.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

Some of the man’s personal belongings were lost in the fire, according to authorities.

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments