Maui News

Waiehu Beach Re-Opened After Shark Attack

November 5, 2012, 12:06 PM HST
* Updated November 5, 2:13 PM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00
A
A
A

DLNR crews patrolled the shoreline in Waiehu following Sunday’s shark attack at the are known as Sand Piles. Photo by Wendy Osher.

By Wendy Osher

State and county officials have reopened the beach area in Waihee where a shark attack took place yesterday morning.

The beach had been closed from Round Table to the Paukukalo River Mouth since after 8 a.m. on Sunday.

Maui County Ocean Safety and the Department of Land and Natural Resources evaluated the area and opened the beach at 11 a.m. today, Monday, Nov. 5, 2012.

Officials from the state Department of Land and Natural Resources, Aquatic Resources division say waves this morning were fairly large. They described the water conditions as very murky, with sunny skies and very light wind.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

DLNR Spokesperson Deborah Ward said no large sharks were seen in the area today. She said there was also no signs of anything that might bring sharks into the area, aside from murky water conditions.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

The fire department Air One helicopter did a fly over inspection around 9 a.m. and reported no sightings of sharks or anything else out of the ordinary, said Ward.

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments