Maui Council Organizes for New Session
By Wendy Osher
The Maui Council will operate under new leadership when the new council terms take effect on January 2, 2013.
Upcountry Council Member Gladys Coelho Baisa was selected to chair the Maui County Council and East Maui Councilman Robert Carroll will serve as vice-chair during the 2013-2015 session.
Newly elected members acted quickly to organize for the upcoming term after the November 6 general election.
“The move reflects our commitment to work decisively and to share leadership roles and authority, and thereby accomplish more for our county’s people. With organizational efforts well underway, we intend to hit the ground running,” said Baisa in a media statement.
Leadership roles for five of the standing committees remain unchanged from the current term including the following:
- Mike Victorino, chair Water Resources Committee,
- Don Couch, chair Planning Committee,
- Robert Carroll, chair Land Use Committee,
- Riki Hokama, chair Policy and Intergovernmental Affairs Committee, and
- Elle Cochran, chair Infrastructure and Environmental Management Committee.
Other leadership roles include the following;
- The Budget and Finance Committee will be led by Mike White.
- In the coming term, there will be no General Plan Committee, but there will be a Committee on Housing, Human Services and Transportation, to be chaired by Molokai’s new Council Member, Stacy Crivello.
- Kahului Council Member-Elect, Don Guzman will head the Economic Development, Agriculture, Energy and Recreation Committee.
“The newly elected council is eager to start its mission of public service,” said Baisa. “I would echo the sentiments of Senate President Shan Tsutsui, that faction-based politics should not be a roadblock to this body’s progress. I invite all members of the public to engage in the legislative process and to continue to make their voices heard. Come January, we will be here to listen and to take appropriate action.”
***Supporting information courtesy County of Maui.