Kiln Sparks Fire at Pauwela Cannery
By Wendy Osher
Maui firefighters responded to a kiln fire at the Pauwela Cannery in Haiku on Monday afternoon.
The incident was reported at 4:49 p.m., Jan. 7, at a business within the cannery on West Kuiaha Road.
Maui Fire Services Chief Lee Mainaga said the fire started and was contained to a ceramics kiln located in a center unit.
According to authorities, the kiln was being used inappropriately to dry sections of bamboo stalks, and was left unattended.
Paia Fire Captain Ben Bland said the fire had the potential to spread, and serves as a reminder to not use equipment for unintended purposes. He noted that it was fortunate the fire was discovered early by building manager and retired firefighter Peter Ohashi.
No monetary damages or injuries were reported.