Maui Discussion

Ask the Mayor: Potholes, Bill Pay, Missing Trash Lids

January 29, 2013, 1:49 PM HST
* Updated January 31, 7:04 PM
Listen to this Article
3 minutes
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Editor’s note: “Ask the Mayor” will be published periodically – leave a comment below or use the contact details provided to submit your question.

By Mayor Alan Arakawa

Maui Mayor Alan Arakawa, file photo by Wendy Osher.

Maui Mayor Alan Arakawa, file photo by Wendy Osher.

Mayor Alan Arakawa answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff.

Dear Mayor Arakawa,

Q: On my morning drive to work, I keep running into the same pothole. Who do I call to get the pothole fixed?


A: Potholes are a high priority for our road crews to repair. You can call the county Department of Public Works Highways Division at 270-7869 to report a pothole (Editor’s note: we tested this out; a county employee responded to our voicemail a day later and dealt with the issue), and staff will help determine whether the road in question is a county road or a road maintained by the state. If you already know the pothole is on a state highway, you can call the state Dept. of Transportation Highways Division at 873-3535.


Q: We live on an automated trash pickup route. The lid on our trash cart is broken. How do I get a replacement for it?

A: It’s a very simple process. Just call the Maui County Dept. of Environmental Management, Solid Waste Division at 270-7875 and ask to have your trash cart lid replaced. You can provide your address and your lid will be replaced in a couple of days. The trash carts are the property of the county, so the county is responsible for repair or replacement due to normal wear and tear. However, if a trash bin is left out in an unsafe place and gets lost or damaged due to negligence, it is the homeowner’s responsibility to pay for a replacement. So be sure to take care of the cart, and move it back onto your property after each collection.

Q: I’m working two jobs and don’t have a lot of time to run errands during the week. Is there a way I can pay my county bills online?


A: There are many ways to pay online for a variety of county services, the newest of which is your water bill.

Our Department of Water Supply staff worked very hard over the past few months to complete the rollout of a new billing system that will allow for monthly billing and online water payments. You can also pay online for your trash pickup, motor vehicle registration, property tax, bicycle and moped registration, bus pass, park reservations and some commercial licenses and fees. Certain surcharges may apply based on the payment method; however, with the time and effort you save by paying online, it may be well worth the nominal charge. Some payment options include credit/debit card, and electronic checks. To see all the options, visit the county website at and click on “Online Services” on the left margin; then select “Pay your County Bill.”


County of Maui:
State Highways:

Want to Ask the Mayor?

Submit your Maui County related questions to Mayor Alan Arakawa via email: [email protected], phone: 270-7855 or mail: 200 S. High Street, 9th Floor, Wailuku, Hawaii 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column; to request a personal response to a concern, contact [email protected]

(Or leave a comment below.)

Letters to the editor – [email protected]. Include your full name, town, and clearly state your issue.

Make the most of your Maui vacation with these top-rated activities: Maui Top 20: Maui Visitor & Tourism Information
E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments