Propane Leak Prompts Evacuation of Napili Market
By Wendy Osher
Firefighters on Maui responded to a report of a propane leak at the back of the Napili Market Wednesday night, officials said.
At around 5:54 p.m., on May 1, 2013, authorities say fire crews were dispatched to reports of a one inch propane line leaking at a high rate of speed.
Maui Fire Services Chief Lee Mainaga said the incident resulted in the evacuation of the Napili Market Plaza for about an hour.
Fire personnel located the propane tank and were able to shut off the gas supply to the broken line, said Mainaga.
No injuries were reported and damage assessments were not available at last report. The cause of the break, fire officials said, could not be determined.