Maui Business

13 Small Business on Maui Selected for Revitalization Grants

October 2, 2013, 3:01 PM HST
* Updated October 2, 3:29 PM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Teena Rasmussen, director of the Mayor's Office of Economic Development.  The OED offers a variety of grant programs targeted to different sectors in the economy. File photo by Wendy Osher.

Teena Rasmussen, director of the Mayor’s Office of Economic Development. The OED offers a variety of grant programs targeted to different sectors in the economy. File photo by Wendy Osher.

By Maui Now Staff

Thirteen small businesses in Maui County received funds ranging from $500 to $5,000 under a Small Business Revitalization matching-grant program, according to an announcement from the Mayor’s Office of Economic Development.

The matching grants, totaling more than $48,000, were awarded to “businesses in areas hardest hit in their ability to recover from the economic downturn of the past few years,” officials said.

Grant awards included the following:


  • Michael and Terry Kristiansen, Kristiansen Associates of Hawaiʻi, Inc.: $4,200
  • Eileen Comeaux, Hāna Herbs & Flowers LLC: $5,000


  • Bruce Harvey dba Tommie II: $5,000
  • William Dierssen dba Lānaʻi Construction Advisors: $5,000
  • Barbara Zigmond, M-B Zigmond Inc., dba Pele’s Other Garden: $5,000
  • Steven Lichter, independent ice maker and distributor: $3,319
  • Sam Dimaya, Jr., Island Appliance Sales and Service, Inc.: $4,507


  • Edwina Pico, Red Dirt Construction LLC: $3,000
  • Taryn Waros, Rockstead Inc., dba Kalele Bookstore & Devine Expressions: $1,434
  • Suzette Kahana, B&S Kahana Corp. dba Kalapaki Girl Dezigns: $2,946
  • June Kapuni-Denison, Kapuni Farms LLC: $4,800
  • Harmonee Williams, Trees of Molokaʻi LLC: $3,500
  • Michael Kahinu, Naʻike: $597

“It’s not about the size of the grant; it is all about what the grant can do for the businesses,” said Susie Thieman, the executive director of Lokahi Pacific, the entity that manages the grant award program for the OED.

According to information released by the county, “the matching grant program requires the business owner to contribute 40% to the project, with the grant covering the remaining 60%.”


The grant awards are reportedly intended to, “provide assistance to businesses for projects they did not have funding for, such as purchasing new equipment, renovating, creating or enhancing websites, purchasing marketing materials and other purposes that will help the businesses grow, prosper and sustain jobs.”

OED director, Teena Rasmussen, issued a statement saying that in each case, “these projects are a terrific way to infuse a small amount of cash into a small business and get big returns.”

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments