Maui News

Lahaina House Fire Causes $500 Damage

October 5, 2013, 7:58 AM HST
* Updated October 5, 8:08 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Photo by Wendy Osher.

Photo by Wendy Osher.

By Wendy Osher

A Lahaina house fire was extinguished on Friday before causing extensive damage.

The incident was reported at 5:47 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 4, 2013, at 41 Pihaʻa Street.

Prior to the arrival of firefighters, the son of the homeowner used a fire extinguisher to douse flames coming from the garage area, located beneath the two story home, said Maui Fire Services Chief Lee Mainaga.

Crews arrived on scene and found no smoke or fire showing, but fire investigators found that a light fixture outside the garage caught on fire, and started moving up the wooden walls and under the balcony above the garage, Mainaga said.


Total damages were estimated at $500, and were considered superficial, according to fire officials.


Authorities say the cause was considered accidental due to a faulty light fixture.

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments