Employee Suffers Minor Burns in Dragon Dragon Fire
By Wendy Osher
A 52-year-old male employee suffered minor burns to his arms and face as a result of a fire at the Dragon Dragon Chinese Restaurant in Kahului this afternoon, fire officials confirmed.
The incident was reported t 12:08 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 11, 2013, at the business located at 70 East Kaʻahumanu Avenue at the Maui Mall.
Fire crews responded to the reported structure fire to find the fire was extinguished upon arrival, and patrons had been evacuated from the restaurant, said Maui Fire Services Chief Lee Mainaga.
The fire, which was contained to the stove, was extinguished by the automatic fire sprinkler system, and caused an estimated $500 in minor water damage on the ceiling tiles, according to FS Chief Mainaga. The employee, who was injured, refused medical transport, according to department reports.
Fire officials say the cause of the fire is considered accidental, due to a valve on the stove malfunctioning.