Maui Discussion

Ask the Mayor: New Requirements for Car Safety Checks?

March 30, 2014, 12:00 PM HST
* Updated April 6, 1:15 PM
Listen to this Article
3 minutes
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

The mayor answers questions from the public in this series.

By Mayor Alan Arakawa

The state is proposing to upgrade Hawai`i's current vehicle safety sticker, shown above, in favor of a one-piece sticker printed out at the inspection station. Photo by Dave Smith.

Vehicle safety sticker. File photo by Dave Smith.

Q: Why do some of the safety stickers I see on cars have a 2016 expiration year, while others say 2015? And is there a new process for safety checks? I have to take my car in soon and wondered if there are any new requirements. Thanks very much, I appreciate the information in your column.

A: New cars are inspected before they are sold, and come with a safety sticker that is valid for two years.

After a new car’s initial two-year period, it will need to be inspected every 12 months, as required by Hawaii’s safety inspection law. Included in this annual inspection requirement are all motor vehicles, including motorcycles, trailers, semi-trailers and pole trailers having a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,000 pounds or less.


According to our DMVL administrator, the Hawai‘i Department of Transportation (HDOT) launched the new Electronic Periodic Motor Vehicle Inspection (EPMVI) program in November 2013. Under the new electronic system, inspection stations must provide automated recording and proof of vehicles’ current inspection results; this allows the state-wide motor vehicle registration database to be electronically updated. The new system does not present any new requirements for owners getting their vehicle safety inspected; however, it is recommended that you check with the inspection station you will have your vehicle inspected at in case they have a different procedure for their customers since the implementation of the EPMVI program.


The maximum amount that can be charged for a vehicle safety inspection for automobiles and trucks is set by HDOT Administrative Rules at $19.19 plus tax; vehicles with window tinting may be charged an additional $5. Motorcycles and trailers may be charged a maximum of $13.24 + tax. For each completed safety inspection, $1.70 is remitted to HDOT for administration and enforcement of the program and $1.69 is remitted to the vendor for providing the equipment and technical support.

Q: Why is there no provision for the maintenance of the rainwater retention ponds that the county approves when builders submit plans for housing and commercial projects? The rainwater retention pond across from us has been through two floods and the mud has diminished the depth of the basin. When we asked the housing management company that takes care of the community, they stated that there is no law that mandates them to maintain it. Thank you for looking into this important issue.

A: The short answer to this rather complex question is this: It depends on how long ago the project was approved, and the overall size of the project. Projects approved after 2012 that triggered the new “Stormwater Quality” requirements are required to maintain basins to the county standards that property owners agree to. Larger projects with grading over 1 acre fall under federal requirements for long-term maintenance.


However, the county does not have jurisdiction to enforce maintenance with these properties unless there unusual circumstances occur, such as flooding onto a county roadway caused by a lack of maintenance of a flood basin. If you observe a retention pond that appears to have deteriorated, you can check whether any conditions were placed on the development by contacting the Planning Department or the Department of Public Works. You can also contact the management company or your property’s deed to find out if your owners’ association is required to maintain the basin. Keep in mind that perpetual requirements such as these are usually passed along from the developer to the owners’ association because once the project is completed, the developer no longer owns any interest in the property.

Q: Are there any plans for more frequent buses or other changes for commuters who ride the Upcountry bus?

A: Not at this time. Our county Department of Transportation has received requests for additional commuter services for riders in the Upcountry area; however, transfer site and timing issues must be resolved before any changes can be made to the existing fixed-route schedule.

Want to Ask the Mayor?

Submit your questions about County of Maui programs, services, operations or policies to Mayor Alan Arakawa via email: [email protected], phone: 270-7855 or mail: 200 S. High Street, 9th Floor, Wailuku, Hawaii 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the Ask the Mayor column.

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments