Maui July 4th Fireworks Display and Guidelines
By Maui Now Staff
There will be a single public fireworks display in Maui County during the Fourth of July holiday.
The display is scheduled for 8 p.m. on Friday, July 4, from a barge offshore of Front Street in Lahaina.
Fire officials remind the public that fireworks can only be set off legally between 1 and 9 p.m. on the Fourth of July.
Setting off fireworks outside designated time is punishable by fines of up to $2,000.
Fire officials say importing and selling aerial fireworks without a permit is considered a Class C Felony.
This year, only consumer fireworks were sold in Maui County. The consumer varieties include sparklers, snakes, and cylindrical or cone fountains which emit effects lower than 12 feet off the ground.
- It is unlawful to remove or extract pyrotechnic contents.
- It is unlawful to throw any ignited fireworks from a moving vehicle.
- It is unlawful to set off fireworks within 1000 feet of health care facilities and facilities for animals.
- It is unlawful to set off fireworks by schools.
- It is unlawful to set off fireworks on public roads, in County parks, at County facilities, cane fields, or places of worship.
- It is unlawful for any person without a permit to set off, ignite, discharge or otherwise cause to explode any fireworks within 500 feet from any hotel.
- It is unlawful for any person to offer for sale, sell or give any fireworks to minors, and for any minors to possess, purchase, set off, ignite or otherwise cause to explode any fireworks, except that which parents or guardians may allow the minor to use while under the immediate supervision and control of an adult.
- Costco in Kahului
- Foodland Super Markets in: Kahului, Kīhei, Lahaina, Lahaina Farms, Pukalani, and Wailuku (Kehalani)
- CVS Long’s Drugs locations in: Kahului, Wailuku, Kīhei, Pukalani, and Lahaina
- Kmart in Kahului
- Misaki Market on Molokaʻi
- Nāpili Market (Food Pantry) in West Maui
- Pine Isle Market on Lānaʻi
- Sack N Save in Wailuku
- Safeway stores in: Kahului, Kīhei, Lahaina, and Maui Lani
- Take’s Variety Store on Molokaʻi
- Times Super Market in: Kīhei and Lahaina
- Walgreens in: Kahului, Lahaina, and Wailuku
- Walmart in Kahului
The sale of fireworks ends at 8 p.m. on July 4, 2014.