Maui Discussion

Ask the Mayor: Outdoor Lighting Complaint, Speed Bump Request

September 22, 2014, 12:34 AM HST
* Updated September 29, 10:30 AM
Listen to this Article
2 minutes
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Lighting. File photo by Wendy Osher.

Lighting. File photo by Wendy Osher.

The mayor answers questions from the public in this series.

By Mayor Alan Arakawa

Q: Can you please explain the outdoor lighting rules and advise residents what can be done if a neighbor is subjected to regular and annoying glare from another neighbor’s spotlights or floodlights?

A: Certainly. Outdoor lighting regulations are covered under Maui County Code, Chapter 20.35 which states that all outdoor lighting fixtures are required to be fully shielded, as defined in that Chapter, unless specifically exempted.  One such exemption is made for outdoor lights controlled by a motion sensor which is timed to turn off within five minutes.

If you are being subjected to annoying lights from a neighbor, the first step would be to contact your neighbor to let them know of the disturbance and the regulations for outdoor lighting. If you are still being subjected to the lights, you can submit a Request for Service through the County website, at to have a County Electrical Inspector investigate the outdoor lighting for compliance with MCC 20.35. Keep in mind that if a home is in a neighborhood with a homeowner’s association (HOA), the HOA may have its own standards relating to light intrusion.

Papa Avenue construction in Kahului. Photo by Wendy Osher.

Papa Avenue repaving construction in Kahului. Photo by Wendy Osher.


Q: Currently there are no speed bumps on Papa Avenue fronting Lihikai Elementary School. Are there plans to put in speed bumps by the crosswalks fronting Lihikai Elementary School as part of the new repaving project?


A: No, traffic calming devices will not be installed near Lihikai Elementary as part of the current re-paving project. Speed humps/bumps are only allowed on minor residential roadways. Papa Avenue is a major collector roadway, thus it is not eligible for the speed hump program or for speed tables, which are a wider variation of the residential area speed hump. However, all school zones do have speed limits that were designed to be respected by motorists and enforced by police.

Want to Ask the Mayor?

Submit your questions about County of Maui programs, services, operations or policies to Mayor Alan Arakawa via email: [email protected], phone: 270-7855 or mail: 200 S. High Street, 9th Floor, Wailuku, Hawaii 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the Ask the Mayor column.

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments