Maui Food and Dining
Makena Resort Presents Night of Big Bottle Wines
By Vanessa Wolf
Jeroboam, Methuselah, Salmanzar, Balthazar, Nebuchadnezzar, Solomon and… wait. What is this story about?
If you guessed “Biblical Kings,” you’re ready for your spot on Jeopardy.
However, those same kings are also the names assigned to large format wine bottles, which just so happen to be what Makena Beach and Golf Resort will be exploring this Thursday, October 2.
Master Sommelier Patrick Okubo returns to host the resort’s October edition of the food and wine education series.
For the event, the resort notes that “Okubo will provide his expertise on the attraction of large format bottle wines, and the pairings provided while Chef De Cuisine Kurt Lesmerises delivers a live cooking demonstration of one of the dishes.”
Of the inspiration for the event, Food & Beverage Director Leo Mallari noted, “Large format wine bottles offer a lower oxygen-to-wine ratio, allowing the wine to age slower and exhibit better maturation…plus it is a table-side pleaser where bottle-size and its softer taste provides a wow factor.”
Wine and food pairings for the event include:
- Hugl, Gruner Veltliner with
- Kumu Farm’s Fresh Herbs and Tart Greens – Romaine, radicchio, red leaf lettuce, curly kale and endive with prosciutto and Parmigiano-Reggiano crisps with lilikoi vinaigrette
- Masi Campofiorin Rosso del Veronese 2003 with
- Veal Milanese – Veal breaded in parmesan and bread crumbs and flash-fried until golden brown topped with baby arugula and cherry tomatoes with shaved pecorino and fresh lemon.
- Michael David, Petite Petit 2009 with
- Blue Cheese Stuffed Figs – Grilled Roquefort bleu cheese stuffed locally-grown mission figs in Villa Mondori balsamic vinegar
Also featuring live musical entertainment, the event is $50 per person plus tax and gratuity.
Seating is limited, and reservations are recommended. Call 808-875-5888 to make yours.
121 COVID-19 Clusters Identified in Maui County 2Florida Man Arrested on Maui for Alleged Quarantine Violation, Volunteers to Leave 3Moped Crash on Honoapi‘ilani Highway Claims Life of Lahaina Man 4April 15, 2021 COVID-19 Update: 98 Cases (59 O‘ahu, 24 Maui, 14 Hawai‘i Island, 1 Moloka‘i) 5New Online Reservation System for Haleakalā Crater Wilderness Campsites 6Scientific Paper on Pygmy Killer Whales Released after 2019 Mass Stranding on Maui