No Tsunami Threat to Hawaiʻi After 6+ Papua New Guinea Quake
By Maui Now Staff
There is no tsunami threat to Hawaiʻi following a 6.4 (preliminary magnitude 6.9) earthquake reported at 5:34 p.m. HST on Thursday, Nov. 6, 2014 in the Papua New Guinea area of the New Britain Region, according to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.
The USGS reports that the quake occurred at a depth of 32.3 miles and was located:
- 44 miles NNE of Finschhafen, Papua New Guinea;
- 96 miles ENE of Lae, Papua New Guinea;
- 133 miles NE of Bulolo, Papua New Guinea;
- 135 miles NE of Wau, Papua New Guinea; and
- 243 miles NNE of Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea.