Maui Discussion

Ask The Mayor: How do I Build a House in a Flood Zone?

January 5, 2015, 7:35 AM HST
* Updated January 11, 7:03 PM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Maui county logo. File image.

Maui county logo. File image.

The mayor answers questions from the public in this series.

By Mayor Alan Arakawa

Q:  I want to build a house on my family property, but it’s located in a flood zone. How do I get any needed permits to build in a flood zone?

A:  You will need to have a flood development permit application prepared by a licensed professional engineer or architect and submitted to the Planning Department for review. You can find information on the application form and process online at Under “Permits, Applications & Reviews,” click on “Development” and then select “Flood Development Permit.”

Want to Ask the Mayor?


Submit your questions about County of Maui programs, services, operations or policies to Mayor Alan Arakawa via email: [email protected], phone: 270-7855 or mail: 200 S. High Street, 9th Floor, Wailuku, HI 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column.

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments