January 18, 2015, 8:42 PM HST
* Updated January 19, 7:43 AM
Waikapu fire. Courtesy of Jeff Onderko.
By Maui Now Staff
Maui Fire Department personnel from the Wailuku and Kahului stations were dispatched to a report of a possible structure fire at 60 Wilikona Place in Waikapu at approximately 4:30 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 18.
Engine 1 arrived and discovered a single-story, 2,600-square-foot residential structure on fire. Flames were erupting from the roof area of the center of the structure.
Fire personnel had the fire under control at 5:30 p.m. and extinguished the blaze shortly thereafter.
Two occupants of the structure were at home at the time of the fire and were able to evacuate safely. There were no injuries to report.
The fire damage to the structure was extensive. Damages are estimated at $300,000 to the structure and $50,000 to its contents.
The cause of this fire has been classified as accidental due to a mishap with a gas-generator that was being used to provide power to the structure.