23 Year Maui Police Veteran Uedoi Promoted to Captain
By Maui Now Staff
The Maui Police Department today announced the promotion of Ricky Uedoi, a 23-year veteran of the department to the rank of Captain.
Uedoi’s promotion to Captain of Technical Services went into effect on Feb. 1, 2015.
Capt. Uedoi is credited with starting the project to bringing back the Solo Bike Detail, which is on track to start in 2015. He received MPD’s Department Manager of the Year award in 2012 and received MADD Law Enforcement award in 1998. He is currently attending the 10 week FBI National Academy, 259th session, and will be graduating in March 2015.
According to information released by the Maui Police Department, Uedoi began his career with the department in October of 1992 with the 44th Recruit Class. His career included the following highlights:
- 1992: Wailuku Patrol division;
- Dec. 1993: Molokaʻi Patrol division;
- Dec. 1994: returned to Wailuku Patrol where he served as a Field Training Officer;
- July 1997: transferred to the Traffic Section’s DUI Task Force;
- October 2000: assigned to the Vehicle Homicide Unit;
- May 2002: promoted to the rank of Sergeant and assigned to the Communications Section;
- 2003: assigned to Lahaina Patrol Division;
- Sept. 2007: assigned to the Quality Assurance Section;
- 2008: re-assigned back to Lahaina Patrol;
- Feb. 2010: worked in the Crimes Against Property and Crimes Against Persons Unit as part of the Criminal Investigation Division;
- March 2011: promoted again, this time to the rank of Lieutenant, and returned to the Wailuku Patrol Division;
- July 2011: assigned to Lānaʻi Patrol District as the District Commander;
- July 2012: assigned to Lahaina Patrol Division, as the Night Commander;
- March 2013: served as the Commander of the Traffic Section.
Since 2009, Capt. Uedoi has reportedly served as a member of the Crisis Negotiation Unit. He is also the president of the Maui Police Relief Association.
Capt. Uedoi is married to Tobie and has three children, Kelsey 23, Kristen 17, and Kason 9.