Annual Event Benefits Grow Some Good’s School Gardens
By Vanessa Wolf
This Saturday, March 7 is the third annual Grow Some Good: Taste of School Gardens event.
Once again, local chefs and school garden supporters come together to celebrate all the culinary, agricultural, and educational knowledge provided to more than 3000 students in South, Central and West Maui by the Grow Some Good program.
Hosted by the Hotel Wailea, attendees can anticipate gourmet dishes sourced from locally (including school garden) grown ingredients and prepared by some of Maui’s top chefs.
The participating restaurants and menus include:
- Duo at the Four Seasons, Chef Craig Dryhurst
- Seared Island Ono, Shaved Cauliflower, Black olive, Basil Puree, Cherry tomatoes and Nasturtium
- Fabiani’s, Chef Mike O’Dwyer
- Ravioli with Chicken and Zucchini and Crema Rosa Sauce and dessert of assorted macaroons (macarons?)
- Capische?, Chefs Christopher Kulis and Brian Etheredge
- Fried Squash Blossom with Maui Cheese Company Fromage Blanc
- Red Pepper Vinaigrette Agnolotti with Local Garden Vegetables
- Private Maui Chef, Chefs Daniel Fiske and Jason Kelley
- Pacific Fish Bone Soup with School Garden Super Greens, Tomato, Cilantro, Soba Noodles and Crispy Wonton
- Local Tomato and Galangal Vegan Broth, with Hamakua Ali’i Mushrooms, School Garden Super Greens, Tomato, Cilantro, Soba Noodles and Crispy Wonton
- Cow Pig Bun, Chef Brian Murphy
- House Burger with Focaccia, Gruyere, Arugula, Garlic aioli, Carmelized Onion, Balsamic Reduction
- Mac ‘n’ Cheese with Carmelized Onion, Potato, Goat Cheese, Cheddar, Panko and Bacon
- Spago, Chefs Cameron Lewark and Sean Schoeben
- Garden of Maui Vegetable Crudite with Fragrant School Garden Herbs and Lemon-Garlic Dressing Island Kale and Quinoa Salad with Sherry Vinaigrette, Feta Cheese, Dried Island Fruit, Red and White Quinoa and Macadamia Nuts
- The Outrigger Pizza Company, Chef Kevin Laut
- Marinara Pizza made with Tomato, Olive Oil, Mozzarella and Basil
- School Garden Herb “Green Pizza” made with a variety of School Garden Herbs, Veggies and Olive Oil.
- Garlic Aioli Crust with Yukon Gold Potatoes, Bacon, Green Onions, and Goat Cheese topped with Arugula
- Whole Foods Market
- Assorted dessert pastries
The assortment of gourmet food offerings is accompanied by fine wine and local brew selections by Chambers & Chambers Wine Merchants, Southern Wine & Spirits and Young’s Market Company.
Also anticipate beer cocktails designed by Four Seasons Resort Maui mixologist Gabe Harvey, including Lahaina Town Brown elixirs with espresso and Bikini Blonde Lager Shandies made with fresh lemon and cane juice.
Once properly satiated and imbibed, enjoy bluegrass music from Aloha Chicken and go big or go home at the silent auction.
The 21 or over event starts at 5 p.m. and tickets are $105 per person or $950 per table of ten.