Maui Discussion

Ask the Mayor: Do I Need the Original Insurance Card for a Safety Sticker?

April 19, 2015, 1:53 PM HST
* Updated April 27, 9:08 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Photo by Victoria Hoag.

Photo by Victoria Hoag.

Mayor Alan Arakawa answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff.

Dear Mayor,

Q: I recently went for my annual car safety check and was given a “fail” because I had brought a printout of my insurance papers instead of a mailed copy of my insurance papers. Is that the correct procedure?

A: You need to bring the original insurance card or certificate with you. According to the Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules for the state Department of Transportation (19-133.2-27 “Inspection of vehicle registration, license plate, vehicle identification number, and proof of insurance”) (b) No certificate of inspection shall be issued if any of the following occurs: (1) There is no proof of a current Hawai ʻi registration certificate or a current original vehicle insurance identification card, a fleet insurance card or certification of self-insurance is not available.

Want to Ask the Mayor?

Submit your questions about County of Maui programs, services, operations or policies to Mayor Alan Arakawa via email at [email protected], by phone at 270-7855 or by mail to 200 S. High St., 9th Floor, Wailuku, HI 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the Ask the Mayor column.

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments