Maui News

Faulty Electrical Wiring Blamed for $20K Rock & Brews Fire

April 26, 2015, 1:24 AM HST
* Updated April 26, 1:52 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00
A
A
A

Structure fire, Maui Now graphic.

Structure fire, Maui Now graphic.

By Maui Now Staff

Faulty electrical wiring is to blame for an attic fire at the Rock & Brews Restaurant in Pāʻia that caused an estimated $20,000 in damage on Friday morning, April 24, 2015, fire officials said.

The fire was first reported at 11:11 a.m., and was extinguished by 11:27 a.m., according to department reports.

Fire officials say Pāʻia firefighters arrived on scene two minutes after the alarm to find light smoke coming from the restaurant.

According to department reports, employees said they heard a loud pop and observed smoke in the air.  An investigation found that the fire sprinklers had been activated in the attic space above the restaurant.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

Fire crews arrived to find the restaurant already evacuated, and quickly entered the ceiling area to have the fire extinguished, authorities said.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

Pāʻia Fire Captain Ben Bland, said “It’s a true testament that fire sprinklers really do work and can make a difference to extinguish or slow a fire until fire department arrival. Fire sprinklers effectively prevented this fire from spreading throughout the attic and to the rest of the building.”

No injuries were reported.

Authorities say five fire units from Pāʻia, Makawao, Kahului, Kīhei and a Battalion Chief responded to the incident at 120 Hāna Highway in Pāʻia.

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments