Wine Tasting to Feature American Comfort Food
By Maui Now Staff
Next Thursday, July 16, the Makena Beach & Golf Resort’s monthly Food and Wine Education Series event features American wines and comfort food.
Held in the resort’s Molokini Bar & Grille, Master Sommelier Patrick Okubo brings with him three all-American Californian wines:
- Red Car Chardonnay from the Sonoma Coast
- Artezin Zinfandel from Mendocino County
- Hess Allomi Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa Valley.
In tandem, Chef De Cuisine Kurt Lesmerises is preparing three home-style classic American comfort dishes.
Paired with the wines, the tasting dishes for the event include:
- Sweet Tea Brined Fried Chicken – a salty sweet brine of brown sugar and freshly brewed tea infused chicken, fried and served with pineapple coleslaw and a honey Dijon dipping sauce
- South Maui Barbeque Baby Back Ribs – meaty melt-in your-mouth ribs, Jalapeno cornbread and borracho baked beans
- Homemade Meatloaf – an American classic lightly smoked and wrapped in bacon served up with whipped potatoes and green beans.
Along with Okubo’s expert-level enlightenment about the wines being served, attendees can anticipate a cooking demonstration of one of the above dishes.
The event starts at 6:30 p.m. and features live entertainment. It’s offered at $55 per person, plus tax and gratuity, and reservations can be made by calling (808)-875-5888.