Hiker Airlifted from Ukumehame Valley After Multiple Bee Stings
By Maui Now Staff
A 73-year-old man was airlifted from Ukumehame Valley in West Maui after suffering from a severe allergic reaction to multiple bee stings while hiking in the area.
The incident was reported at 4:43 p.m. on Monday, July 13, 2015.
Fire officials say the man was unable to walk out on his own and paramedics began treating him upon arrival.
He was airlifted by the Fire Department’s Air 1 helicopter to a landing zone on Ehehene Street, where medics met him for transport to the Maui Memorial Medical Center.
The victim, whose hometown was unavailable, was hiking with a male friend when they encountered the bees.
Authorities say he did not have his Epi-pen with him.
He was transported to the hospital in stable condition.