Maui News

Texas Boyscout Burned by Pot of Boiling Water at Kipahulu Campground

July 14, 2015, 6:43 AM HST
* Updated July 14, 6:45 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00
A
A
A

Haleakala National Park, Kīpahulu signage. Photo by Wendy Osher.

Haleakala National Park, Kīpahulu signage. Photo by Wendy Osher.

By Maui Now Staff

An 11-year-old boy from El Paso Texas was airlifted from the Kīpahulu campgrounds in East Maui after sustaining third degree burns caused by a pot of boiling water that accidentally fell on him.

Fire officials say the boy was camping with a Boy Scout Troop from Texas and was accompanied by troop leaders when the incident occurred at around 10 a.m. on Monday, July 13, 2015.

The victim was flown to the Maui Memorial Medical Center in serious but non-life threatening condition, and was later transported to an Oʻahu hospital in stable condition for further treatment.

Maui Fire Services Officer Edward Taomoto said the boy’s parents were notified and are planning to fly to Oʻahu to be with their child.

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments