Maui Discussion

Ask the Mayor: What Can be Done About my Neighbor’s Piles of Trash?

August 3, 2015, 7:42 AM HST
* Updated August 10, 7:32 AM
Listen to this Article
2 minutes
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Trash. Maui Now photo/graphic.

Trash. Maui Now photo/graphic.

Mayor Alan Arakawa answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff.

Aloha Mayor Arakawa:

Q: I have a neighbor who I suspect is a hoarder. He has trash all around his cottage and also piles bag of trash full of cat litter and the smell comes into my house. He also has a bunch of trash that is sitting in a trailer in the garage which we share and I feel that this is a health hazard because it attracts spiders, mice, mosquitoes, etc.

I’ve brought this to my landlord’s attention and she has threatened eviction. Three months ago, he dumped his trash, but now he just started to pile it up again. He also has a non-operational car parked on the side of the road and he just refuses to clean up.

I’m concerned that all this trash is a health hazard and he just does not want to clean up.


Please help on how I can resolve this situation. Thank you.


A: Our Department of Public Works handles enforcement of Maui County Code 9.32 regarding “Community Beautification.” The code states that the Public Works Director is “authorized to notify the owner of the property to remove weeds, trash and waste that creates an unsanitary condition.”

From there, it will be up to the property owner to communicate with her tenant again and stress the seriousness of the situation. The county has no authority to communicate with the tenant and can only work through the property owner. Otherwise, Public Works is authorized to remove the trash themselves or contract the work out and then we will bill the property owner the total cost.

As for the non-operational vehicle, just call the police non-emergency number and report it as abandoned. An officer should arrive to tag it for removal by our Department of Environmental Management.


Want to Ask the Mayor?

Submit your questions about County of Maui programs, services, operations or policies to Mayor Alan Arakawa via email at [email protected], by phone at 270-7855 or by mail to 200 S. High St., 9th Floor, Wailuku, HI 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the Ask the Mayor column.

Make the most of your Maui vacation with these top-rated activities: Maui Top 20: Maui Visitor & Tourism Information
E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments