AIA Honolulu Announces 57th Annual Design Award Winners
By Maui Now Staff
The American Institute of Architects, Honolulu Chapter, has announced the winners of the 57th Annual Design Awards, recognizing architectural design excellence for 2015.
In Maui County, the Lāna‘i Theater Renovation in Lāna‘i City by Architect Glenn Mason, AIA, Mason Architects Inc. earned The Award of Merit: Commercial/Industrial.
The distinguished Design Award entrants were submitted by local AIA Honolulu member-architects.
Hawai‘i’s oldest design competition—held annually since 1958—recognized the year’s best in architectural projects at a gala event attended by over 250 last night at The Hawaii Prince Hotel and Golf Club.
Design Award Winners
Award of Excellence: Institutional
- NOAA Daniel K. Inouye Regional Center (Ford Island, O‘ahu). Architect Joseph Ferraro, FAIA. Ferraro Choi And Associates Ltd; HOK (Lead Design Firm).
Award of Excellence: Residential
- Hut House (Kilauea, Kaua‘i). Architect Lorena Yamamoto, AIA. Roy K. Yamamoto Architect, AIA, Inc. (Executive Architect); Johnston Marklee (Lead Design Firm).
- Kahua Kuili (Kailua-Kona, Hawai‘i Island). Architect Gregory Warner, AIA. Walker Warner Architects.
Award of Merit: Commercial/Industrial
- Lāna‘i Theater Renovation (Lanai City). Architect Glenn Mason, AIA. Mason Architects, Inc.
Award of Merit: Institutional
- Student Services Building, University of Hawaii at Hilo. Architect Lorrin Matsunaga, AIA. Urban Works Inc.
Award of Merit: Residential
- Puako Beach Cottage (Hawai‘i, Big Island). Architect Terrance Cisco, AIA. Terrance J. Cisco Architect LLC.
Award of Merit: Unbuilt
- New Administration & Allied Health Building. University of Hawai‘i at West O‘ahu (Kapolei). Architect Glenn Yokotake, AIA. KYA Design Group (Architect of Record); Perkins+Will (Lead Design Firm).
Honorable Mention: Commercial/Industrial
- Downtown Office Ohana Room Renovation (Honolulu). Architect Bettina Mehnert, AIA. Architects Hawaii Ltd. Recognized for imaginative spatial organization.
- Oahu Orthodontics – Elite Orthodontics Office (Honolulu). Architect Cathi Ho Schar, AIA. collaborative studio llc. Recognized for creative efficiency and maximized budget.
Honorable Mention: Institutional
- American Brewery Building (Honolulu). Steven Wong, AIA. Mitsunaga & Associates, Inc. Recognized for adaptive reuse and well-executed community space.
- Renovations and Alterations of the Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalanianaole Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse (Honolulu). ArchitectBen Lee, FAIA-ME. Clifford Planning & Architecture, LLC; Gensler (Lead Design Firm). Recognized for the redesign of the entryway.
Honorable Mention: Residential
- Coral House (North Kona, Hawai‘i Island). Architect Shay Zak, AIA. Zak Architecture. Recognized for great execution of concept.
Mayor’s Choice Award
- NOAA Daniel K. Inouye Regional Center (Ford Island, Oahu). Architect Joseph Ferraro, FAIA. Ferraro Choi And Associates Ltd; HOK (Lead Design Firm).
The Mayor’s Choice Award was selected by Mayor Kirk Caldwell from among all entries.
Ninth Annual People’s Choice Award
The Ninth Annual People’s Choice Award allowed the general public to determine its favorite of 36 projects entered in the AIA Honolulu Annual Design Awards. Voting was conducted online through the AIA Honolulu Web site in July, with close to 1,200 votes cast.
- Continental Hale (Honolulu). Jimmy Wu, AIA. Prowork Pacific Inc.
Hawaii Home + Remodeling Editor’s Choice Award
- Hale Maluhia (Poipu, Kaua‘i). Architect Palmer Hafdahl, AIA. Palms Hawaii Architecture LLC.
All entries may be viewed online at aiahonolulu.org in the “Awards” section.
With the exception of the Mayor’s Choice Award and People’s Choice Award, all other awards were determined by a distinguished panel of jurors composed of AIA member-architects and other design professionals.
This year’s jury panel consisted of lauded local members of the design community, including Daniel S. Friedman, FAIA, LEED AP, dean of the School of Architecture at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa; Rochelle Nagata-Wu, AIA, project architect and LEEP AP at WRNS Studio Hawai‘i; Shaun Roth, AIA, partner at Roth Kimura LLP; Nate Smith, owner of Nate Smith Studio LLC; and Scott R. Wilson, AIA, of Scott R. Wilson AIA and 2015 president of AIA Honolulu.
For more information on the Design Awards, go online.