Crews Hit Propane Line Digging at Haʻikū Marketplace
Maui firefighters were called to a propane leak at the Haʻikū Marketplace, on Haʻikū Road at around 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 24, 2015, fire officials said.
Pāʻia firefighters arrived on scene at 9:46 a.m. to find that a construction crew digging in the parking lot, accidentally struck a propane line located 3-feet underground, according to Maui Fire Services Officer Edward Taomoto.
FSO Taomoto said workers shut off a valve at the main tank supplying the Marketplace prior to fire department arrival.
Fire officials said access to the parking lot was restricted until it was confirmed the gas line was shut off.
Fire crews reportedly turned over the scene to Hawaiʻi Gas at around 10:10 a.m. when company crews arrived to make repairs.