Plane Lands Safely After Stored E-Cig Sparks Fire in Baggage
On Tuesday, Jan. 12, 2016 at around 5:05 p.m., Airport Security reported that Hawaiian Airlines plane was in route to Maui from Oʻahu.
Maui police say that during the flight, a fire started within the baggage area of the plane. The pilot was able to extinguish the flame utilizing a fire extinguisher, according to police reports.
An investigation revealed that the fire started from an electronic cigarette that was stored within one of the checked bags, police said.
Police say the plane landed safely on Maui with no injuries to the passengers and no damages to the plane.
According to Maui police, the owner of the luggage was contacted and admitted storing an electronic cigarette in his checked bag. No criminal charges have been filed.