Motorcade Tribute for Late Senator Gilbert Kahele
The public is invited to pay their respects to the late State Senator Gilbert Kahele as he makes his final journey home from Honolulu to Hilo, according to a state announcement.
Senator Kahele, who passed away suddenly on Jan. 26, 2016, will be honored in a brief tribute as his motorcade passes the Hawaiʻi State Capitol at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2016.
Members and staff of the State Legislature, Governor and Lieutenant Governor’s office, State Department offices, State Sheriffs, Hawai‘i National Guard and the Office of Hawaiian Affairs will be in attendance.
Ke Kahili Nui (Hawaiian feathered standards), kani pū (conch blowers), and the Kanikau (mourning chant) will be performed for the late Senator by members of the Hawaiian community. Flags will also be lowered to half-staff upon arrival and raised after the motorcade leaves the Capitol.
The motorcade schedule in Honolulu is as follows:
- 8:50 a.m. Motorcade will leave Nuʻuanu Memorial, travel via police escort from Nuʻuanu to Punchbowl and onto Beretania St.
- 9:00 a.m. Stop in front of State Capitol
- 9:08 a.m. Motorcade leaves State Capitol
- 9:09 a.m. Bells toll at St. Andrews Cathedral
- 9:25 a.m. Arrive at National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific
- 9:40 a.m. Flag folding ceremony/playing of Taps by the Hawai‘i National Honor Guard
The Hawai‘i Island community is invited to pay their respects when the Senator’s motorcade passes through Hilo. The motorcade will tour many sites that Sen. Kahele was fond of in Hilo Town, as well as significant locations throughout his childhood. The motorcade schedule in Hilo is as follows:
- 12:45 p.m. Flight arrives in Hilo
- 1:00 p.m. Motorcade departs Hilo airport
- 1:10 p.m. Keaukaha Elementary School
- 1:20 p.m. Richardsons Ocean Park
- 1:25 p.m. Puhi Bay
- 1:30 p.m. Banyan Drive
- 1:35 p.m. Suisan
- 1:40 p.m. County of Hawai‘i Building
- 1:41 p.m. Hawai‘i State Building
- 1:45 p.m. Chiefess Kapiolani Elementary School
- 1:50 p.m. Hawai‘i County Fire Department Central Station
- 1:55 p.m. Hawai‘i County Police Department
- 1:57 p.m. Lanakila Housing
- 2:00 p.m. Mohouli & Komohana
- 2:05 p.m. Hilo High School
- 2:06 p.m. Hilo Intermediate School
- 2:07 p.m. Lanakila Learning Center
- 2:10 p.m. Federal Building, US Post Office and Courthouse in Hilo
- 2:15 p.m. Dodo Mortuary
A celebration of Senator Kahele’s life will be held on Monday, Feb. 8, 2016 at the Afook Chinen Civic Auditorium in Hilo. Visitation begins at 4 p.m. Services for a final “Evening of Aloha” begins at 5 p.m. The public is invited to attend.