No Tsunami After 4.0 Kīlauea Earthquake
There is no tsunami threat to Hawaiʻi following a 4.0 (preliminary magnitude 4.1) earthquake reported at 9:23 a.m. on Friday, Feb. 12, 2016 on the South Flank of the Kīlauea Volcano.
The USGS reports that the quake was located:
- 12 miles SW of Leilani Estates, Hawaiʻi;
- 18 miles SSW of Hawaiian Paradise Park, Hawaiʻi;
- 27 miles S of Hilo, Hawaiʻi;
- 66 miles ESE of Kailua-Kona, Hawaiʻi; and
- 227 miles SE of Honolulu, Hawaiʻi.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a statement saying no tsunami is expected, however some areas may have experienced shaking.
Residents in various parts of the island reported feeling the quake including reports from: Hilo, Mountain View, Kurtistown, Volcano, Keaʻau and Honomū.