3.6 Earthquake Rattles Maui
There is no tsunami expected following a preliminary magnitude 3.6 earthquake reported at 4:04 a.m. on Monday, March 28, 2016, two miles SE of Waikapū, Maui, according to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.
The USGS reports that the quake occurred at a depth of 10-35 km and was centered:
- 4km (2mi) SE of Waikapū, Hawaiʻi;
- 5km (3mi) N of Kīhei, Hawaiʻi;
- 7km (4mi) S of Kahului, Hawaiʻi;
- 7km (4mi) SSE of Wailuku, Hawaiʻi; and
- 153km (95mi) ESE of Honolulu, Hawaiʻi.
At 4:40 a.m., the USGS Did You Feel It website reported multiple responses from residents across Maui with individuals saying they felt the quake in Wailuku, Makawao, Kīhei, Kula, Haʻikū and Kahului.