Makena Resort Holds Job Fair for Transitioning Staff
The management of the Makena Beach & Golf Resort has made good on their promise to help soon-to-be-displaced staff prepare for the future.
The resort most recently held an in-house job fair; 35 employers representing 55 Maui resort properties with job openings participated.
“I’ve never seen such a strong transition team or an entire hospitality industry rally behind employees like this before,” Melody Guest, consultant at Vantaggio HR, said about the May 27 job fair.
“Resumes were ready and employees were great—very outgoing and extremely customer service-oriented,” said Anne Marschke, human resources director at the Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa.
The 1,800-acre, 310-room Makena Beach & Golf Resort will close at noon July 1, 2016.
“The foundation of Makena Beach & Golf Resort has always been its employees, many of whom have been working at the property for over 20 years,” General Manager Declan McCarthy said in the official announcement to the resort’s staff.
“Our attention will be closely focused on the employees of the hotel over the coming weeks to ensure that they are receiving the assistance that they need as we work through the closure of the hotel,” McCarthy continued. “The planning process has been underway for some time now and included early employee notifications, planned training on resume writing, interviewing skills and job search tools.
The resort developed a five-part Makena ‘Ohana Transition Program during May to ensure its outgoing staff has every opportunity for future employment.
The resort’s Human Resources and Training Department, in partnership with University of Hawai‘i Maui College and Vantaggio HR Hawaii developed the program, which included a series of workshops and meetings to assist with the transition and help in finding future employment for resort employees.
Program 1 – Employment Skills Workshops
May 10, 11, 12
- University of Hawaii Maui College held job search workshops for the resort’s employees.
- Workshops included resume writing, application advice, job interview preparation.
Program 2 – Medical Benefits
May 17, 18, 19
- Meetings were held with medical benefits providers and insurance representatives from HMSA, Kaiser, HDS, VSP, PGL, Health Connector and WorkLife.
- Included meetings and presentations for employees on their options once the hotel is closed
Program 3 – ‘Ohana Resource Center
Opened May 16 and will stay open daily 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. until closure on July 1
- Staffed daily by the Makena ‘Ohana Transition Team to work with employees who need personal assistance with: resume development and printing, online job applications and assistance with
- HireNet (government job search site).
- The center is stocked with all necessary office materials for employees to apply to jobs, including computers and Internet.
Program 4 – Coaching with Vantaggio Team Experts
May 23, 24, 25
- Appointment times were offered to employees wishing to receive one-on-one training, resume critiques, cover letter assistance, online applications, LinkedIn profile creation and more.
- Vantaggio also offers to set up mock interviews with employees to practice both live interviews and video interviews.
Program 5 – Job Fair
- Prospective employers participated the resort for a job fair open to resort employees only.
- Approximately 35 employers representing 55 properties participated.
- Employees were ready after their month of preparation—resumes, interview skills, applications and more.
The new Marriott Residence Inn will be opening in Wailea late Summer, 2016 and will be posting positions and applications online soon.
MAUI NOW LINKS