MHS to Hold Halloween Pet Costume Contest Benefit
The Maui Humane Society is holding a special Halloween benefit event, and is also offering safety tips for pet owners.
Join the Maui Humane Society on Friday, Oct. 28, at 6:15 p.m. at the Maui Mall for a Halloween Pet Costume Contest benefit for MHS.
Categories include: Cutest, Scariest, Owner/Pet Look-Alike and Most Original.
The entry fee is $10; all proceeds from registration benefits MHS shelter pets.
Register online or on the day of the event from 5 to 5:45 p.m.
Halloween Safety Tips for Pet Owners
Have Pets Identified and Visible: There are a lot of extra people on the streets at Halloween, and that combined with strange costumes can spook pets and cause them to bolt. If you take your pet out after dark, make sure he or she wears a reflective collar and is securely leashed. And make sure your pet has proper identification on the collar and/or a microchip. A friendly reminder that all Maui dogs must be licensed.
Keep Pets Calm: Even pets who are kept indoors may experience anxiety over the large number of strangely dressed visitors. keeping your pet away from trick-or-treaters may do the trick, but if you think more will be needed, speak to your vet about other options to calm your pet.
Check Those Costumes: Costumes can be fun for the whole family. However, if you are planning on dressing up your best furry friend, ensure that they costume fits well and isn’t going to slip and tangle the pet or cause a choking hazard if chewed on. And never leave a costumed pet unattended.
Lock Candy Away: Kids love to stash candy in their rooms, but a dog’s keen sense of smell will lead him to even the most cleverly hidden treasure. Contact a veterinary professional right away if your pet does get into Halloween candy, especially if it contains chocolate or is sugar-free and contains Xylitol.
Ditto Glow Sticks: Glow sticks are used to help keep kids safe while they are out in the dark. Pets (especially cats) find these glow sticks to be a lot of fun and often puncture them. While most of the sticks are labeled as non-toxic, they do have an extremely bitter taste and pets who bite then may begin drooling and racing around the house. A little treat or sip of milk will usually stop the taste reaction.