Maui News

Wailea Homeowner Sustains Burn Injuries in Propane Explosion

October 31, 2016, 8:22 AM HST
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00
A
A
A

Wailea propane gas fire.

Wailea propane gas fire.

A 73-year-old man suffered critical injuries on Saturday afternoon when gas from a propane tank exploded on the lānai of his Malina Place home in Maui Meadows.

Fire officials say the man sustained burn injuries to his arms and face in the incident.

The cause of the fire was ruled accidental and was related to the homeowner’s use of the propane-fed BBQ grill on the second floor outdoor lānai.

Authorities say the man was on the deck when the propane gas ignited resulting in $65,000 in damage to the building and $10,000 in damage to its contents.

A tenant who heard the gas explosion rushed to the man’s aid and used a fire extinguisher to slow the fire before firefighters arrived, according to department reports.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

Wailea firefighters were on scene at 1:30 p.m. and found fire on the 2nd floor lanai of the residence. Fire crews \knocked down the flames shortly after arrival and called the fire under control at 2:37 p.m. and extinguished at 4:35 p.m.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

The man’s wife was in another part of the home when the incident occurred and was not injured.

A battalion chief and 4 companies from Wailea, Kīhei and Kahului responded to the fire.

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments