Wailuku Structure Fire Displaces Family of Eight
Eight family members – two adults and six children were displaced after their home was destroyed in the fire on Sunday afternoon.
No one was at home when the fire broke out and there were no injuries.
Wailuku firefighters were on scene at 2:03 p.m. and found the home fully engulfed in flames.
The fire was brought under control at 2:32 p.m. and extinguished at around 5 p.m.
A rescue and hazardous materials crew from Kahului, engine companies from Wailuku and Wailea and a battalion chief responded to the fire.
The home was considered a total loss. Damages were estimated at $150,000 to the structure and $50,000 to contents.
The fire cause appears to be accidental due to a pot left unattended on the cooking range.
The American Red Cross is assisting the family with their immediate needs.
Volunteers with the American Red Cross are responding to a residential fire reported on Ulei Place in Wailuku. Red Cross disaster volunteers will meet with affected residents and ensure their immediate emergency needs for food, shelter and clothing are met. Caseworkers will continue to follow up with anyone affected in the coming weeks to provide referrals, guidance or additional assistance as needed to help with the recovery process.