Maui Discussion

Ask the Mayor: Who Do We Contact About a Malfunctioning Traffic Light?

August 27, 2017, 5:06 PM HST
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Mayor Alan Arakawa answers some of the questions submitted to his staff. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column. Submit your own questions about County of Maui programs, services, operations or policies to Mayor Alan Arakawa at (808) 270-7855,  [email protected]  or mail them to 200 S. High St., 9th Floor, Wailuku, HI 96793.


Q: In Lahaina at the Waine‘e Street and Papalaua Street intersection, the sensor that changes the light ismalfunctioning. Facing the south direction, if your vehicle is waiting at the light to cross through Papalaua, the sensor doesn’t recognize you there and the light doesn’t change. I have seen this multiple times where people end up running a red light there, or it will finally change when traffic in the other direction happens to appear. My question is, who do we contact about this to have repaired?

A: To report traffic signal problem at a Maui County intersection, contact the traffic signal office at (808) 270-7910 during normal operating hours of 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. During off-duty hours, call the Maui Police Department at (808) 244-6400. To see a list of county-maintained traffic signals, visit and click on “County Maintained Traffic Signals.”

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments