Maui Discussion

Ask the Mayor: How Do I Get Permit to Build in Flood Zone?

March 5, 2018, 10:25 AM HST
* Updated March 5, 10:27 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Mayor Alan Arakawa answers some of the questions submitted to his staff.

Submit your own questions about County of Maui programs, services, operations or policies to Mayor Alan Arakawa at [email protected], (808) 270-7855 or mail them to 200 S. High St., 9th Floor, Wailuku, HI 96793.

Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column.

Mayor Alan Arakawa,

Q: I want to build a house on my family property, but it’s located in a flood zone. How do I get any needed permits to build in a flood zone?


A: You will need to have a flood development permit application prepared by a licensed professional engineer and architect and submitted to the Planning Department for review. You can find information on the application form and process online at Under permits, Applications & Reviews, click on “Development” and then select “Flood Development Permit.”



Make the most of your Maui vacation with these top-rated activities: Maui Top 20: Maui Visitor & Tourism Information
E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments