Hikianalia Departure Delayed as Crew Monitors Lane
Leadership with the Polynesian Voyaging Society leadership has decided to reschedule the departure of the Polynesian voyaging canoe, Hikianalia until 5:30 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 18, 2018.
The decision was based on the latest weather update and forecasts related to Hurricane Lane.
“The forecasted track of Hurricane Lane does not pose a risk to the canoe, but we are making a conservative decision to take one last look at the forecast early tomorrow morning,” said Nainoa Thompson, president, Polynesian Voyaging Society.
Hikianalia was originally scheduled to depart Sand Island on Monday, July 30, but was delayed due to unfavorable weather conditions caused by Hurricane Hector and final canoe preparations.
The departure of Hikianalia will launch Alahula Kai o Maleka, Hikianalia’s California Voyage. After an approximately 30-day sail across the Pacific Ocean, the canoe is expected to arrive in Northern California in mid- September, weather permitting.
The welcome ceremony and celebration has been rescheduled to Sunday, Sept. 16, at Aquatic Park in San Francisco due to the delayed departure.
After engagements in San Francisco, Hikianalia will sail down the coast of California to San Diego and connect with communities along the way. The canoe is expected to return to Hawaii in December 2018.