Maui Tree Giveaway Among Many Planned Statewide
This Saturday, about a thousand trees will be given away at the Maui Nui Botanical Gardens in honor of Hawaiʻiʻs 51st annual Arbor Day.
Itʻs a part of the Department of Land and Natural Resources’ Kaulunani Urban and Community Forestry Program, which will be hosting four other Arbor Day giveaways statewide.
“We urgently need more trees in our communities,” a press release from DLNR read.
“Hawaiʻi has been supporting tree giveaways for decades, but the need has drastically increased in recent years. Trees may be among our most accessible and affordable defense against climate change.”
Below is a list of Arbor Day tree giveaways:
Saturday, Nov. 2, starting at 9 a.m.
- Honolulu – Foster Botanical Garden (180 N. Vineyard Blvd.)
- Pearl City – Urban Garden Center (955 Kamehameha Hwy.)
- Central Oʻahu – Wahiawā Botanical Garden (1396 California Ave.)
- North Shore – Waimea Valley Botanical Garden (59-864 Kamehameha Hwy.)
- Windward – Kailua United Methodist Church (1110 Kailua Road)
- Līhuʻe – Kukui Grove Center (3-2600 Kaumualii Highway #1400, Parking lot behind Walmart)
Here is a list of Arbor Day plant sales:
Friday, Nov. 1, 8 a.m. to 1/2 p.m.
- Līhuʻe – DOFAW Baseyard and Nursery, (4398-D Pua Loke St.) until 2 p.m.
- Hilo – DOFAW Baseyard (19 E. Kawili Street) until 1 p.m.
- Kamuela – DOFAW Tree Nursery (66-1220 Lalamilo Farm Road #A) until 1 p.m.