No Tsunami Threat to Hawai‘i After 7+ Quake in Molucca Sea Near Indonesia
There is no tsunami threat to Hawaiʻi after a preliminary magnitude 7.1 earthquake reported at 6:17 a.m. on Thursday, Nov. 14, in the Molucca Sea located 86 miles NW of Ternate, Indonesia.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a statement saying that based on all available data, a destructive Pacific-wide tsunami is not expected and there is no threat to Hawaiʻi.
The USGS reports that the quake was located:
- 86.8 miles SE of Ternate, North Maluku, Indonesia;
- 98.5 miles SE of Sofifi, North Maluku, Indonesia;
- 105.8 miles W of Tondano, North Sulawesi, Indonesia;
- 108.6 miles W of Manado, North Sulawesi, Indonesia; and
- 110.6 miles E of Tobelo, North Maluku, Indonesia.