Maui Hiring: County Clerk and Deputy County Clerk
The County of Maui is recruiting for the full time positions of County Clerk and Deputy County Clerk.
The vacancies were created with the departures of Josiah Nishita, who was appointed to serve as Deputy Managing Director for Mayor Michael Victorino’s administration; and Maggie Clark who will also reportedly serve in the mayor’s administration.
The mission of the Office of the County Clerk is to ensure the integrity of the election process and the accessibility of public records, while providing professional service to the public.
The Office of the County Clerk is one of two support agencies of the Maui County Council. The Clerk’s Office provides support and staffs the Maui County Council meetings. The Clerk’s Office also receives and maintains certain public records and makes them available to the public, the legislative and executive branches of the County of Maui, and other government agencies.
The Clerk’s Office is also responsible for the elections in the County of Maui and the County of Kalawao. It assists the State Office of Elections in meeting all Federal, State, and County election requirements and in the implementation of programs to increase voter registration and participation.
The Clerk’s Office is primarily managed by the County Clerk, who is appointed by the Council and reports to the Council Chair. The Deputy County Clerk assists the County Clerk. The Clerk’s Office is staffed by civil-service employees.
▪ Five years of experience in an administrative capacity, either in public service or private business, or a combination of both.
▪ A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in business administration, public administration, or other relevant discipline, or a combination of education and work experience substantially equivalent to such a bachelor’s degree.
▪ Strong research, writing, and speaking skills.
▪ Ability to use Microsoft Office word-processing and spreadsheet software and other computer applications.
▪ Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
▪ Willingness to work more than 40 hours per week as may be required to meet the deadlines, demands, and needs of the Council and the public.
▪ Interest in public service.
▪ Impeccable personal and professional integrity.
▪ A master’s degree in business administration, public administration, or relevant discipline or a law degree.
▪ Experience in government, especially with a legislative body.
▪ Expertise in parliamentary procedure.
▪ Experience in assisting in the conduct of public elections.
▪ Experience in records management and information technology.
▪ Experience in personnel management.
▪ Experience with audio-visual technology.
▪ Familiarity with the County of Maui.
How to apply:
▪ Download the application form: https://tinyurl.com/CountyClerkApp
▪ Submit your completed application, résumé, cover letter, and three professional references by email to [email protected] by 4:30 p.m. HST on Jan. 16, 2020.
▪ Please complete all sections of the application in addition to submitting your résumé, cover letter, and three professional references.
▪ In your cover letter, please briefly describe how your education and experience correlate to the County Clerk or Deputy County Clerk job duties, mandatory qualifications, and desirable qualifications, and include any specific salary requirements. Please also indicate which position you are applying for.
Under the Maui County Code, “The annual salaries of the county clerk and the deputy county clerk shall be set by resolution.”
For more questions or information, contact the Office of Council Services [email protected], or Director of Council Services Traci Fujita at (808) 270-7838.