Reopening Reminders for Retail on Maui
Retail stores and certain retail stores in shopping malls are allowed to open on Maui on Monday, May 11, but must follow modifications required for reopening.
Mayor Michael Victorino issued a reminder to retailers to follow physical distancing requirements and safety guidelines outlined below as outlined in the Governor’s 7th Supplemental Proclamation.
“Retail stores that are opening on Monday should follow the operational guidelines listed in the Governor’s proclamation and our emergency rules,” Mayor Victorino said. “All businesses should also refer to operational guidelines provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Hawaii Department of Health and other governmental agencies.”
Guidelines for businesses include, but are not limited to:
- Thorough cleaning and sanitization practices
- Maintain physical distancing of 6 feet or more
- Capacity limits for facilities
- Appointment only services encouraged
- Delivery/pick-up services encouraged
- Face coverings should be worn by all employees and customers
- No person-to-person (physical) contact
- Employees who have symptoms of COVID-19 should be sent home as soon as possible
The following are NOT permitted to open in shopping malls:
- Food-court dining areas (except for delivery or take-out)
- Play areas
- Entertainment areas
- Common areas (except to access and depart from a retail business)
- Arcades & game rooms
- Beauty, hair and nail salons
Auto dealerships and real estate services will also be allowed to operate by appointment and with modifications. These services had previously been restricted to critical situations only.
Photographers and photo studios are also permitted to open for operation.