Maui road closures due to landslides, downed tree, downed utility pole
* Updated December 31, 1:05 PM
Update: 1:09 p.m., Dec. 31, 2021
As of 1 p.m. on Dec. 31, 2021, one lane is open to traffic on Piʻilani Highway at Mile 36-37. Crews from the County of Maui Highways Division will return on Monday, Jan. 3, 2022 to clear the remaining obstructions from an earlier reported landslide.
Update 6:11 a.m., Dec. 31, 2021
- Lower Honoapiʻilani Road – downed utility pole in Nāpili: Due to a vehicle striking a utility pole, the pole is blocking the south bound lane of Lower Honoapiʻilani Road, just south of Hui Road E in Nāpili. Hawaiian Electric Company personnel on Maui are on the scene. Motorists are advised to drive with caution.
Update: 5:18 a.m., Dec. 31, 2021
- Hāna Highway landslide cleared at Mile 11.5: Hāna Highway is now open at Mile 11.5 following the removal of debris from a landslide that was completed overnight.
- Hāna Highway – tree blocking lanes in Nāhiku: At 5:18 a.m., police advised that a fallen tree was blocking Hāna Highway just east of Nāhiku Town. State Highway personnel were notified, and debris removal was expected to take approximately 90-120 minutes.
- Piʻilani Highway at Mile 36-37 closed: The Piʻilani Highway at Mile 36-37 remained closed at last report while county crews conduct a survey at a site affected by previous landslides. The closure was expected to continue through at least Friday morning, Dec. 31, 2021. Road closure signs have been posted at mile marker 46 and in ʻUlupalakua.
Original post: 7:10 p.m. Dec. 30, 2021
Update 8:56 p.m., Dec. 30, 2021
- Piʻilani Highway between Mile Markers 36-37 in Kaupō will be closed due to past landslides. The closure is being implemented by the County of Maui Highway Division. County officials say the Piʻilani Highway closure is expected to continue at least until Friday morning. Road closure signs have been posted at mile marker 46 and in ʻUlupalakua.
- Maui police report that the Hāna Highway at Mile 11.5 was closed as of 7:10 p.m. due to a landslide is blocking the Hāna bound lane of traffic. Crews from the state highways division planned to conclude work in the area in 90-120 minutes.
Motorists are advised to avoid the areas.